The student retreat program is an essential component of educating the whole person. Campus Ministry Coordinators and the student Retreat Team plan and conduct a freshman retreat on campus for an entire school day, a sophomore retreat off campus for an entire school day, and a junior over-night/service learning retreat. On the senior level, the adult Campus Ministers work with a specially trained team of seniors to present Kairos, a four day, off-campus retreat experience. There are two Kairos retreat opportunities, offered in the fall and the spring of the senior year. Students are encouraged to sign up for the one that best accommodates their schedule. Adult chaperones including a school administrator attend each Kairos retreat.
The retreat program at NDA gives our students the opportunity to get away from the craziness of student life and bond as a class. It is a chance for students to pray together, to play together, to reflect and to grow in their relationship with God. Each year the retreat theme goes a little deeper to meet students where they are on their faith journey.
- Freshman Retreat helps each student find their perfect fit here at NDA as they are beginning their high school journey.
- Sophomore Retreat focuses on recognizing one’s own God-given gifts and greatness as students continue on the journey to become their best selves.
- The Junior Overnight Service Learning Retreat integrates the study of the Eucharist in the junior religion curriculum, a service-learning experience focused on hunger, and prayer and personal reflection on the experience of being “Chosen, Blessed, Broken, and Shared” as the juniors accept their role as upperclass women. The retreat offers students healthy ways to handle the stress of junior year, reminding them that God is present to help them persevere. The Junior Overnight Service Learning Retreat culminates in the Junior Ring Ceremony, at which students receive the physical symbols of their status as upperclass women and their commitment to the ideals on Notre Dame Academy.
- The Senior Kairos retreat is a four-day retreat that allows the seniors sacred time and space to ask the important questions and explore their relationship with self, others and God as they prepare to move on to college.
The purpose of the Retreat Team is to plan and animate the annual retreats for the student body. In this, the team promotes the faith development of the students. The role of the Retreat Team is to implement the religious goals and objectives of the school philosophy and ISOs.
Responsibilities of the Retreat Team
- Bear witness of your faith journey to the school within the various class retreats
- Animate the individual grade level retreats
- Provide a positive role model by example at school and during the retreat
- Attend and participate in weekly Retreat Team meetings every Tuesday
- Plan the retreats based on the needs of the school community
- Welcome those who enter into our community