"Let us labor with the Holy Spirit at the work the good God has entrusted to us. The good God will give us at the right time what we need." - St. Julie Billiart
These trusting words have characterized the history of Notre Dame Academy for more than 60 years. As we look back, we cannot help but marvel at all that has been accomplished since the opening of Notre Dame Academy in 1949 in the makeshift quarters of the elementary school library. In March of the following year, ground was broken in the adjacent lot to begin construction of a new high school building. In 1952, Timothy Cardinal Manning, then Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles, dedicated the first phase of the completed building. In 1954, the second phase of the construction plan included the chapel, science lab and auditorium/gym. Since then there have been numerous expansions and improvements, including the addition of the Fritz Burns wing in 1998.
Notre Dame Academy initially operated as a comprehensive school, offering programs of study to accommodate the vocational, business, and college-bound student. In 1969, the decision was made to reorganize the curriculum in order to emphasize college preparation for all students.
Beginning in the fall of 2004, the school moved to a transitional administrative structure with two co-Principals. In the fall of 2005, the school adopted the President/Principal model and established a Board of Trustees and a Board of Members, the latter comprised of Sisters of Notre Dame. Since 2008, the elementary school and the high school have maintained their separate identities but have shared one President and a single Board of Trustees. In 2012, a corporate restructure was completed that merged the corporations of the two schools into one corporation, Notre Dame Academy Schools of Los Angeles, and established a separate foundation. The Sisters of Notre Dame retain reserved powers as the member of the corporation, but delegate the majority of the governance to the Board of Directors.
"Go out to California and build a house of love." - Words of Reverend Mother Mary Cecilia to Sister Mary Bernard, 1924